Tuesday 17 July 2012

FAQ



Recently, I've gotten quite a number of phone calls, SMS, and replies in this blog (chewah, dah macam artis popular la pulak..) asking me questions such as "How to quit?", "What if I'm bonded by JPA?", "To whom should I send my resignation letter?", and other similar questions.

I've actually written a blog post on how to quit here: How to Quit?
And questions regarding the JPA bond have already been answered by some of the kind visitors of this blog (many thanks to those who contributed).

But since people keep asking, I'll write a short FAQ here to answer some of the common questions from my dear fellow housemans. I don't know much to be honest, but I'll try to share as much as I can. Please take my words with a pinch of salt, as some of the things I mentioned are just what I heard from my colleagues.

Question 1: How do I quit?

I'll just take a few extracts from my previous blog post. Here are some of the ways that you can use to quit your job:

  1. Submit a 24-hour resignation notice (Notis peletakan jawatan) - the most bad-ass way to quit your job. But then you'll have to pay them one month's worth of your salary, which is around RM4000. And if you do quit, the next time you want to apply to become a houseman again for whatever reason I simply cannot imagine, they will hire you based on a contract basis. Meaning they can send you to wherever they want you to go (anywhere within Malaysia that is, duh), and they can terminate you any time if they're not satisfied with your performance. Don't ask me where to get the resignation form. If your hospital is using a computerized system, then the form might be somewhere in the shared network folders. If not, try asking the admin person who is in charge of the housemans. The form needs to be counter-signed by the Pengarah or Timbalan Pengarah. All you have to do is fill up the form and submit it to the admin. Don't worry about KKM, because the admin will handle that.
  2. Submit a 1-month resignation notice - with this option, you don't have to pay them a month's worth of salary, but then you have to work with them for another 1 month. If you can bear the daily scoldings and humiliations for another month, then this is the suitable choice. The contract basis applies just like option No.1 as well.
  3. Missing in action (Tidak hadir bertugas) - this is my current plan. According to the admin people of my hospital, if you don't show up for work, then they're just gonna stop paying you your salary. When you feel like working again, you can just show up for work, and then they'll start paying you again. You don't have to be rehired on a contract basis. But of course it won't look nice on your work record. And if you do show up for work again, they will have to take some "disciplinary actions" a.k.a tindakan tatatertib. I'm not sure what they exactly meant by "disciplinary actions", but unless your hospital has a medieval-style torture chamber in the basement, it's unlikely to be anything that you should be worried about.
Question 2: What if I'm bonded by JPA?

Okay, first things first, I am not bonded by JPA because I took PTPTN loan. In case of PTPTN, it's really easy, because you're not bonded or tied to any contract. All you have to do is make sure that you pay the monthly installments. And they're not that strict anyway, I've missed a few payments and no one sent me a letter or anything.
But what about JPA? Well, if you took up the JPA scholarship, then it's going to be one of the major factor that's stopping you from quitting your housemanship. Why? Because you're bonded to the government for 10 years if you're a JPA holder. I couldn't be bothered to call up JPA since I never took their scholarship, so I'll just share with you guys some of the things I've heard from colleagues/bloggers/forummers/rumors about the JPA bond:

  1. The fine that you have to pay is not RM250,000 like you might have heard a few years ago. One of my friend quit her housemanship and the fine is only RM160,000. Still a large sum, but much less than RM250,000. A Toyota Camry rather than a BMW 3-Series. But my friend studied locally, so I'm not sure if those who studied abroad have to pay the same amount, since the cost of our local degree is much cheaper than the ones from UK, etc.
  2. I've heard stories that you can pay in installments. I don't think it's true, because so far no one can confirm this, not even my friend who quit her housemanship.
  3. A blogger recently told me in her comment that the 10 year bond doesn't mean that you have to become a doctor for 10 years. It just means that you have to work with the government for 10 years, regardless of your profession. Good news if you don't mind the low salary. Try looking up the SPA website and see what sort of jobs are available for degree holders.
Question 3: What kind of jobs are there for people who quit housemanship like me?

Refer to this blogpost:


There. I've answered some of the common questions to the best of my knowledge. If there is anything that I didn't mention in the post above, then it means that I don't know the answer. As much as I'd like to help my fellow HOs, sometimes I'm just as clueless as you are on certain matters.

16 comments:

  1. Bro, very important topic, 'What if I'm bonded by JPA?'

    Seriously many out there wonder how to execute it Do I need to pay 250K cash, or less or in installments etc. Please share all that you know.

    Please write it in details.

    Thumbs up for this blog! You are helping those really stressed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not much to be said bro. Im taking PTPTN myself, so Im not really sure about JPA. I'll be writing based on what I've heard from others. Anyway, will update this post soon. Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, can pay 250k with installment for 5 years or 10 years, but still need to pay 10% from 250k, which is 25k in cash money, then buat rayuan to pay the baki for 10 years

      Delete
    3. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

      Delete
  2. One more thing, how about the compulsory 2 years service? after become MO?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's compulsory if you want to get a full MMC registration and be able to practice anywhere u want. so if u're not gonna practice, dont worry about it. :p

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much bro Danny for your explanation..Jasamu dikenang...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob. Hope whatever I wrote could be of some benefit to you. :)

      Delete
  4. How do u explain 2 ur family then? How do they repond?
    -dk-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taken from one of my response to a similar question:

      I took months to convince my family that quitting housemanship is the better decision.
      They are still having a hard time accepting my decision, mainly because they do not understand how hard it is to become a doctor. They are still hoping that I would continue my housemanship, despite having numerous discussions on the matter. It's really frustating.
      So what did I do? I quit without telling them. I got myself a job, and maybe after a few months, I'll tell them the truth, and they're gonna see that I can still survive after quitting my housemanship, and how much happier I am.
      It's not easy discussing this with your parents, but you have to try. You have to let them know that you're old enough to know what's really best for you. You gotta let them know how much you're suffering doing your housemanship, and you're not feeling happy at all. And if they're still stubborn, then just quit without telling them, like I did. You're gonna find another job sooner or later. We're living in Malaysia, where even beggars can get RM3000 per month, where even SPM leavers can drive a Honda Civic. People in this country die because they eat too much, not because there's not enough to eat. So dont worry about starving to death after quitting.

      Delete
  5. Hi, usually after receive SPA offer letter need to go for medical check up, make akuan sumpah etc right.

    1. So yours how long the gap between the SPA letter and induksi?

    At least when I know the gap of time can lessen my anxiety each time the postman come.

    2. Any way to prolong my holiday but not to dump the HO-ship? I just need time to enjoy my life.

    P/S : Currently it seems some of my friends keep pushing SPA and KKM to process ASAP. They want HO so bad.. whereas I prefer to take a long holiday before entering the 'hell'.

    And yes as comment above, jasamu dikenang :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I cant really remember. If I'm not mistaken, it's only about one month. Maybe less than that.

      2. Dont go for the induction then. Go for a later induction. Many people do that, thought I'm not sure of the exact process since I didn't do it. Probably best to call the number in your induction letter and ask them instead. But what I'm sure is that you can delay your induction, no problem.

      Delete
    2. @Anonymous

      About the induction thing, what i done is too just ignore the letter and dont even need to post the reply.

      Induction is done in batches of once every 1 month, if you dont go theres no penalty. I ignored 2 letters and took the 3rd. My friends all started work in mid december 2009 while i only attended induction in april 2010.

      Keep in mind your payroll and perlantikan starts on the 1st day of induction, so once you go theres turning back

      Delete
    3. Give me ur email.
      Nafisah21@gmail.com
      I wanna ask regarding delay the induction

      Delete
  6. You are so irresponsible for no show! What a shame for you graduated as a doc! If any of you out there who don't wanna continue to serve as a doc, just resign with the first or second method! You are trained to be professional, so do it with a professional and matured way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The option was given by the admin people themselves. They said you may opt for "Tidak Hadir Bertugas", as long as you let the admin know so they can communicate to the relevant department. This is not the sudden MIA.

      Delete