Friday 23 March 2012

What should I do after I quit?

There are tons of things you can do after you quit. You can do another job, you can take another degree, or you can do both. Just follow your dreams! Be an artist, or a musician, or a racing driver, or Batman, I don't care! Just do what you really want. Cos I believe that if you have the passion for something, then you will definitely succeed in whatever it is that you 're doing. Skills can be acquired through experience. Passion is something that you either have or don't have.

The most common question that pops out whenever someone wants to quit is "What can you do with your MBBS degree if you don't complete your housemanship?"

Can I be a lecturer? - No, most institute require that you have a relevant degree in whatever it is you're teaching. And if you wanna teach in medical school, then most institute require that you have at least 1 year experience of working after getting your permanent license to practice. Which means that you have to finish your housemanship, and be an MO for at least 1 year.

Can I start a business? - Sure you can! You don't need a degree in business or finance just to start a business. If you have enough money to start a business, and you have the passion, then just do it!

Can I be an artist/dancer/policeman/Batman/etc - these sort of jobs doesn't require a degree. It requires passion. You think Picasso have a degree in arts? You think Batman have a degree in crime-fighting? You think Hitler have a degree in world-domination? No they don't. But they like what they're doing, that's why they are able to succeed.

What I'm trying to say is, don't get put off by those who question you on what can you do. Show them what you can do instead. Show them that you're brave enough to follow your dreams and succeed, while they're still stuck with the job they hate every single day.

So what am I going to do? Ideally, I would like to follow my dreams and become an engineer. But I have a girlfriend, and she's already 24 this year, and we've been a couple for more than 4 years. So I can't just take another degree and remain jobless for the next 4 years. I want to marry this girl.

So I'm planning to take a short 1-month course at NIOSH (National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health) and become a SHO (Safety and Health Officer). The pay isn't much, but it should be enough. They say starting pay is around RM2-3K for beginners (RM3-5K if you work offshore), not including overtime. And once you've worked for 3 years, you're gonna get a 'green book', which is to certify that you're a competent SHO. Once you get the green book, your salary will increase to RM5-7K (RM12-20K if you're working offshore with an oil & gas company). That's not too bad isn't it? It's not my passion, but at least it's not the job that I hate.

Once I have enough money, I'm gonna start a business. Perhaps a restaurant by the beach. Something like Chili's, but a bit smaller, and it's gonna be al fresco. Man, that'd be nice.

What about you guys? What's your plan?

6 comments:

  1. you my friend lack passion.Do you know how many people out there have both passion and talent but couldnt get into such profession simply because they couldnt afford the high educational finance in order to become one.imo,, you are just a spoiled brat who view the world in a naive way ,thinking that life is all joy and candy,simply ignoring the fact that there are million out there who couldnt even afford to eat. anyway, just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never said i had any passion for medicine in the first place. just because my parents can afford to send me to medical school, means i have to become a doctor? isnt life about doing what u want to do? what kind of life would it be if im doing something i hate everyday, despite getting good income and stuff?
    and why are u even bringing up the issue of people who cant even afford to eat? just because people in africa cant afford to eat means that i have to continue becoming a doctor? excuse me but i just dont see the relation.
    spoiled as i may be, i only have one life to live, and i dont plan to drag my feet to work for the rest of my life.
    just because it's a tough world out there doesnt mean that i dont deserve to live a good life. u think people become a doctor because they think "yes, the world id tough snd millions out there cant even afford to eat. so i must become a doctor even though i was never interested to become one." the fuck man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for u Danny. I encourage u to go after your passion, whatever it may be.
    I'm currently finishing my housemanship. Thank God i still love my job despite all the abuse I get from my superiors, staff nurses, medical assitants and even ungrateful patients.
    Honestly, I resent HOs who always go MIA cos we have to cover for them, that means double the work for us.
    Worse still are those HO who are not interested in medicine at all and are not competent, most of them are there just because their parents forced them to do medicine. These group of HO are DANGEROUS!!! we have to supervise their work so that they won't do any harm, that means triple the work for us.
    So if any House Officer or medical student who's not interested wanna leave, please leave ASAP. Don't give any more trouble to your fellow colleagues and more importantly don't endanger the life of the patients under your care.
    Danny I wish u luck in all your future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im sorry, but that doesnt sound like an encouragement for other HOs with problems. As I've said before, I am not encouraging HOs to quit. I am just providing some info to help them understand what happens if they quit.

    They may not be able to quit because they have a family to support, or they still can't find another job. People have reasons, we should try to understand them. Scold them if you must, but scold them out of concern, and as a friend. Dont scold them out of anger, and distant yourselves from them.

    Anyway, thanks for the wishes. May you become a good MO as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pls give me more details on sho n niosh pls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever details I have posted here are all I've got. I didn't go for the NIOSH course, so cant help much.

      You can give NIOSH a call to see which courses are available, and when is it available, and what you have to do to enroll.

      Delete